Camerata and Sinfonia Orchestras.
The aim of the NYSO Camerata and Sinfonia residencies is to help younger students at a critical stage of their musical development to ‘Make Connections’ between all the different musical experiences coming at them.
Realising that theory, aural and physical response to rhythm all come together at the point where performance begins, is an eye-opener for young players.
Spring: 9 – 14 April – Stamford School, Oswald Elliott Hall, East Street, Stamford, PE9 1QF
Summer: 18 – 26 August (prov) – Stamford School, Oswald Elliott Hall, East Street, Stamford, PE9 1QF
Previous repertoire includes:
Vaughan Williams – Charterhouse Suite, 2021
Bartok – Romanian Folk Dances, 2021
Grainger – Molly on the Shore, 2021
Elgar – Serenade for Strings, 2019
Rautavaara – Divertimento in D k.136, 2019
Piazzola – Libertango, 2019
Beethoven String Quartet op95 1st mvt (arr. Mahler), 2019
Fees. (Easter & Summer courses)
Fees for 2022 – £2030 (includes £250 non-refundable place acceptance deposit)
Please note: In response to positive feedback we have increased the length of the Camerata and Sinfonia residencies by a further 2 days (14 days in total).
Audition Information & Requirements.
Playing level: Grade 5 to grade 8 standard and above
Ages: 9 – 12 (Sinfonia), 13 – 17 (Camerata)
Please note: There is one audition process for both Camerata and Sinfonia orchestras. Places will be offered to the appropriate orchestra at the Music Director’s discretion.
Auditions are by video only. Applications are now open for 2022 orchestra membership.
How to apply
- Please complete the application form on our website (at the bottom of this page) and submit it by 20 October 2021.
- Upload your video audition to YouTube (public or unlisted) or Vimeo by 30 October 2021. You will receive an email with details of where to send the video links. Do check your spam folders!
- One piece of your own choice. Playing with an accompanist is at your discretion.
- 2 scales in different keys and their respective arpeggios, separate and slurred. Choice of 2 or 3 octaves at your (and your teacher’s) discretion. One double stop scale of your choice in either 6ths, 3rds or octaves (not required for basses).
- Three short orchestral excerpts. You will be sent a download link for the excerpts around 13 October. Audition Excerpts
- Please state your first and last name clearly before playing anything. Before each piece and orchestral excerpt please state the title and composer, and identify which scale you will be playing before each one.
- Set up the camera so we can see the musician from at least the waist up, and position the music stand so we can see the musician’s instrument as well. For those auditioning on larger instruments, such as cello and double bass, please try to capture as much of the musician as possible in the picture.
- Check that the sound quality of the recording is satisfactory and without distortion before uploading.
NYSO’s bursary scheme exists for students from families who would find it difficult to meet the costs involved in attending NYSO residencies.More Info
NYSO are delighted to be in partnership with the Junior Guildhall School of Music and Drama. Students of the Junior GSMD who missed the auditions may be considered for a place in NYSO, at the discretion of the Music Director and places being available, following a recommendation from their string teacher and audition.