Age: 13 – 17
Playing standard: grade 6 – 8 standard and above
NYSO Camerata enables students at a critical stage of their musical development to make connections between all the different musical elements coming at them, and to experience how the theory, aural and physical response to rhythm all come together at the point where performance begins.
NYSO Sinfonia residencies introduce ensemble skills and incorporate Kodaly musicianship and Dalcroze Eurhythmics sessions linked to the repertoire to develop the specific skills needed for ensemble playing.
Residency dates 2023:
Spring: 2 – 6 April 2023 – Stamford School, Oswald Elliott Hall, East Street, Stamford, PE9 1QF
Summer: 28 July – 5 August – Stamford School, Oswald Elliott Hall, East Street, Stamford, PE9 1QF
Residency dates 2024:
Spring: 7 – 11 April 2024 – Stamford School, Oswald Elliott Hall, East Street, Stamford, PE9 1QF
Applications are open for 2024! Scroll down for more details.
Find out more about the team.
Fees. (Easter & Summer courses)
Fees for 2023 – £2030 (includes £250 non-refundable place acceptance deposit)
In response to concern for exam preparation time, NYSO have reduced the number of Easter residency days for 2023 to 5 instead of 6. In addition during the Easter residency NYSO will be scheduling time for personal study for all those that require it.
Audition Information & Requirements.
Applications are now open for 2024 orchestra membership!
Scroll down for the application form.
How to apply:
Applications to audition for membership of NYSO orchestras can be submitted at any time, although final decisions will be made after the October deadline. Auditions are by video only.
- Upload your video audition to YouTube (public or unlisted) or Vimeo.
- Complete and submit the application form (at the bottom of this page) including the links to your videos. It is also possible to submit the application form and then send the video links separately to email@example.com
Deadline for submission 31 October 2023
Audition requirements for Camerata:
- One piece of your own choice. Playing with an accompanist is at your discretion.
- 2 scales in different keys and their respective arpeggios, separate and slurred. Choice of 2 or 3 octaves at your (and your teacher’s) discretion. One double stop scale of your choice in either 6ths, 3rds or octaves (not required for basses).
- Three short orchestral excerpts. The links will be displayed here and will be active approximately two weeks before the audition submission dates. Camerata audition excerpts
- Please state your first and last name clearly before playing anything. Before each piece and orchestral excerpt please state the title and composer, and identify which scale you will be playing before each one.
- Set up the camera so we can see the musician from at least the waist up, and position the music stand so we can see the musician’s instrument as well. For those auditioning on larger instruments, such as cello and double bass, please try to capture as much of the musician as possible in the picture.
- Check that the sound quality of the recording is satisfactory and without distortion before uploading.
NYSO’s bursary scheme exists for students from families who would find it difficult to meet the costs involved in attending NYSO residencies.More Info