Through a carefully planned programme of sectional and full rehearsals, NYSO’s Senior residencies set out to help young players develop the special ensemble skills and techniques necessary to play successfully as a member of a chamber orchestra section. The aim is for each section to play “as one”.
Spring: 9 – 14 April – Stamford School, Oswald Elliott Hall, East Street, Stamford, PE9 1QF
Summer: dates and venue to be confirmed
Previous repertoire includes:
Schnittke – MozArt a la Haydn 2021
Howells – Concerto for String Orchestra 2021
Mussorgsky – Pictures at an Exhibition (arr. Jaques Cohen) 2019
Britten – Variations of a Theme of Frank Bridge 2019
Britten – Prelude and Fugue for 18 strings 2018
Strauss – Metamorphosen 2018
Stravinsky – Apollon musagète 2017
Beethoven – Quartet no. 11 op 95 arr. Mahler 2017
Fees. (Easter & Summer courses)
Fees for 2022: £2184 (includes £250 non-refundable place acceptance deposit).
Audition Information & Requirements.
Playing level: Grade 8 and above
Ages: up to 21
Applications are now open for 2022 orchestra membership.
How to apply
- Please complete the application form on our website (at the bottom of this page) and submit it by 20 October 2021.
- Upload your video audition to YouTube (public or unlisted) or Vimeo by 30 October 2021. You will receive an email with details of where to send the video links.
- Two contrasting pieces of own choice. Playing with an accompanist is at your discretion.
- Scales and arpeggios:
- 1 major scale, 1 minor arpeggio and 1 minor 3rd scale all in the same key of your own choice
- 1 minor scale, 1 major arpeggio and 1 major 6th all in another key of your own choice.
- These can be played slurred or separate bowing of your choice and preferably 3 octaves, and double stops can be played broken/stepped or together.
- Basses – E and G preferably in 3 octaves, any others can be 2 octaves.
- Orchestral excerpts. You will be sent a download link for the music after the application deadline.
- Please state your first and last name clearly before playing anything. Before each piece and orchestral excerpt please state the title and composer, and identify which scale you will be playing before each one.
- Set up the camera so we can see the musician from at least the waist up, and position the music stand so we can see the musician’s instrument as well. For those auditioning on larger instruments, such as cello and double bass, please try to capture as much of the musician as possible in the picture.
- Check that the sound quality of the recording is satisfactory and without distortion before uploading.
NYSO’s bursary scheme exists for students from families who would find it difficult to meet the costs involved in attending NYSO residencies.More Info
NYSO are delighted to be in partnership with the Junior Guildhall School of Music and Drama. Students of the Junior GSMD who missed the auditions may be considered for a place in NYSO, at the discretion of the Music Director and places being available, following a recommendation from their string teacher and audition.