Age: up to 21
Playing standard: Grade 8 and above
Through a carefully planned programme of sectional and full rehearsals, NYSO’s Senior residencies set out to help young players develop the special ensemble skills and techniques necessary to play successfully as a member of a chamber orchestra section. The aim is for each section to play “as one”.
Major works in the string orchestra repertoire, from the baroque era through to the present day, are selected for the various challenges they present; both technical and musical. Students work with Artistic Director Damian Iorio as well as a team of professional string players whose careers have been spent performing these works all over the world.
Residency dates 2023:
Spring: 2 – 6 April 2023 – Stamford School, Oswald Elliott Hall, East Street, Stamford, PE9 1QF
Summer: 30 July – 7 August (TBC) – Stamford School, Oswald Elliott Hall, East Street, Stamford, PE9 1QF
Residency dates 2024:
Spring: 7 – 11 April 2024 – Stamford School, Oswald Elliott Hall, East Street, Stamford, PE9 1QF
Applications are open for 2024! Scroll down for more details.
Find out more about NYSO’s Artistic Director and Senior Orchestra Music Director Damian Iorio and the team.
Fees. (Easter & Summer courses)
Fees for 2023: £2184 (includes £250 non-refundable place acceptance deposit).
In response to concern for exam preparation time, NYSO have reduced the number of Easter residency days from 2023 to 5 instead of 6. In addition during the Easter residency NYSO will be scheduling time for personal study for all those that require it.
Audition Information & Requirements.
Applications are now open for 2024 orchestra membership!
Scroll down for the application form.
How to apply:
Applications to audition for membership of NYSO orchestras can be submitted at any time, although final decisions will be made after the October deadline. Auditions are by video only.
- Upload your video audition to YouTube (public or unlisted) or Vimeo.
- Complete and submit the application form (at the bottom of this page) including the links to your videos. It is also possible to submit the application form and then send the video links separately to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submission 31 October 2023.
Audition requirements for the senior orchestra:
- Two contrasting pieces of own choice. Playing with an accompanist is at your discretion.
- Orchestral excerpts. The links will be displayed here and will be active approximately two weeks before the audition submission dates.
- Senior audition excerpts
- Scales and arpeggios. Please choose two keys:
- In your first key play the major scale + minor arpeggio + minor 3rd scale.
- In your second key play the minor scale (harmonic or melodic) + major arpeggio + major 6th.
Scale notes: Preferably 3 octaves, slurred or separate bowing of your choice. Double stops can be played broken/stepped or together.
Basses – double stops not required, keys of E and G preferably 3 octaves, any other keys can be 2 octaves.
- Please state your first and last name clearly before playing anything. Before each piece and orchestral excerpt please state the title and composer, and identify which scale you will be playing before each one.
- Set up the camera so we can see the musician from at least the waist up, and position the music stand so we can see the musician’s instrument as well. For those auditioning on larger instruments, such as cello and double bass, please try to capture as much of the musician as possible in the picture.
- Check that the sound quality of the recording is satisfactory and without distortion before uploading.
NYSO’s bursary scheme exists for students from families who would find it difficult to meet the costs involved in attending NYSO residencies.More Info