Age: 7 – 9
Playing standard: grade standard of 2 – 5 (to be used as a guide)
NYSO Sinfonietta welcomes talented 7 – 9 year-old string players to its 3-day residencies at Easter and summer, providing a foundation for string ensemble playing with a focus on chamber music, general musicianship and the Kodaly and Dalcroze methods.
We acknowledge that many younger players do not do grades, but a solid basis in string playing will be an advantage and grades 2 – 5 or equivalent should be regarded purely as guidance for the levels of ability the Sinfonietta is looking for, rather than as strict requirements.
Residency dates 2024:
Spring: 9 – 11 April 2024: : Stamford School, Oswald Elliott Hall, East Street, Stamford, PE9 1QF
Summer: 21 – 23 August 2024 tbc: Stamford School, Oswald Elliott Hall, East Street, Stamford, PE9 1QF
Applications for 2024 have now closed.
2024 – Easter residency – £395
2024 – Summer residency – £395
Audition Information & Requirements.
*Applications have now closed for 2024 orchestra membership.*
Scroll down for the application form.
How to apply:
Applications to audition for membership of NYSO orchestras can be submitted at any time, although final decisions will be made after the October deadline. Auditions are by video only.
- Upload your video audition to YouTube (public or unlisted) or Vimeo.
- Complete and submit the application form at the bottom of this page. Links to your audition video/s may be submitted at time of application, or submitted later to firstname.lastname@example.org by the applications deadline 31 October 2023
Audition requirements for Sinfonietta:
We recognise that some promising musicians in this age group may have only been playing for a short time. The audition process is designed to make sure that enough knowledge is in place for members to be able to access the residency fully. It is expected that members will be able to read music.
- One piece of your own choice. You can play alone, with an accompanist, or in a duet with your teacher.
- One major scale with its arpeggio, plus a minor scale (natural, melodic or harmonic) with its arpeggio. One octave is enough, but feel free to play two octaves if you know them. Please play one of these with slurred bowing.
- Sing “Sarasponda”, Video example here
- Please state your first and last name clearly before playing anything. Before each piece and orchestral excerpt please state the title and composer, and identify which scale you will be playing before each one.
- Set up the camera so we can see the musician from at least the waist up, and position the music stand so we can see the musician’s instrument as well. For those auditioning on larger instruments, such as cello and double bass, please try to capture as much of the musician as possible in the picture.
- Check that the sound quality of the recording is satisfactory and without distortion before uploading.