Age: 9 – 12
Playing standard: grade 5 – 7 standard and above
NYSO Sinfonia enables younger students at a critical stage of their musical development to make connections between all the different musical elements coming at them, and to experience how the theory, aural and physical response to rhythm all come together at the point where performance begins.
NYSO Sinfonia residencies introduce ensemble skills and incorporate Kodaly musicianship and Dalcroze Eurhythmics sessions linked to the repertoire to develop the specific skills needed for ensemble playing.
Residency dates 2024:
Spring: 7 – 11 April 2024 – Stamford School, Oswald Elliott Hall, East Street, Stamford, PE9 1QF
Summer: 15 – 23 August 2024 tbc – Stamford School, Oswald Elliott Hall, East Street, Stamford, PE9 1QF
Applications for 2024 have now closed.
Fees for 2024: £2030 (includes £250 non-refundable place acceptance deposit)
Audition Information & Requirements.
*Applications have now closed for 2024 orchestra membership.*
Scroll down for the application form.
How to apply:
Applications to audition for membership of NYSO orchestras can be submitted at any time, although final decisions will be made after the October deadline. Auditions are by video only.
- Upload your video audition to YouTube (public or unlisted) or Vimeo.
- Complete and submit the application form at the bottom of this page. Links to your audition video/s may be submitted at time of application, or submitted later to firstname.lastname@example.org by the applications deadline 31 October 2023
Audition requirements for Sinfonia:
- One piece of your own choice. Playing with an accompanist is at your discretion.
- 2 scales in different keys and their respective arpeggios: preferably one separate and one slurred. Choice of 2 or 3 octaves at your (and your teacher’s) discretion. One double stop scale of your choice in either 6ths, 3rds or octaves if this has been covered in your lessons (not required for basses).
- Three short orchestral excerpts. The links for the 2024 excerpts are now live. Sinfonia audition excerpts
- Please state your first and last name clearly before playing anything. Before each piece and orchestral excerpt please state the title and composer, and identify which scale you will be playing before each one.
- Set up the camera so we can see the musician from at least the waist up, and position the music stand so we can see the musician’s instrument as well. For those auditioning on larger instruments, such as cello and double bass, please try to capture as much of the musician as possible in the picture.
- Check that the sound quality of the recording is satisfactory and without distortion before uploading.